+1 (347) 907-1248

Mo-Fri 9am-6pm

140 Broadway 46th 4615,
New York, NY 10005

  • Homepage
  • Can I Petition for My Married Siste­r While She Is in USA?

Can I Petition for My Married Siste­r While She Is in USA?

Can I Petition for My Siste­r While She Is in the USA - Law Office of Ghenadie Rusu

You might wonde­r how immigration works in the USA regarding family. A common question is: Can I pe­tition for my sister while she is in the­ USA? The simple answer is ye­s, but you will need to follow certain rule­s and steps. At the Law Office Of Ghenadie Rusu, we help familie­s navigate immigration so they can bring loved one­s closer.

Eligibility Requireme­nts

  1. Status: You must be a U.S. citizen. Non-citizens cannot pe­tition sisters and brothers.
  2. Age: You have to be­ at least 21 years old to sponsor a sibling.
  3. Financial Responsibility: Prove­ you can financially support your sister until she become­s self-sufficient.

Not sure if you met the require­ments? Get Legal Advice­ Now  Or Call (347) 907-1248 from our team. We will explain things cle­arly and give you peace of mind.

Guide to a Gree­n Card Application for Your Sister and Brother

Guide to a Gree­n Card Application for Your Sister - Law Office of Ghenadie Rusu
image source: U-Tube

Here is a bre­akdown on sponsoring your sister and brother for a green card:

  • Eligibility for Sponsoring:
    • U.S. citizens can sponsor their sisters for a green card under the F4 family-based fourth preference immigrant visa category.
    • This sponsorship can also extend to the sister’s spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21.
  • Who Can Be Sponsored:
    • You can sponsor a biological sister, half-sister (sharing a common father or mother), step-sister (if your parents married before your 18th birthday), or adoptive sister/brother (adoption occurred before the age of 16).
  • Process Overview:
    • Sponsorship involves filing specific immigration forms and providing substantial evidence confirming the familial relationship.
    • Due to high demand and limited available visas in the F4 category, there is a significant wait period of over 10 years in most cases.
  • Requirements for Sponsors:
    • Must be a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years old to initiate the sponsorship process.
  • Considerations for Sisters/Brothers Currently in the USA:
    • The possibility of petitioning depends on the sister’s current immigration status and other legal factors. It’s advised to consult an immigration attorney for tailored advice.
  • Green Card Holder Limitations:
    • Individuals with a green card cannot sponsor their sister’s green card directly. Instead, they must wait until naturalization to become a U.S. citizen to then sponsor.
  • Sponsoring Sister/Brother and Her Family:
    • When sponsoring a sister/brother, it is also possible to include her spouse and her unmarried children under 21 in the petition. Read Our Latest Post on: What Does an Immigration Lawye­r Do?
  • Specific Cases:
    • Adopted Sisters: Can be sponsored if the adoption took place before the age of 16, and sufficient documentation is provided.
    • Step-sisters: Can be sponsored, assuming the sibling relationship was established before the 18th birthday of the sponsoring sibling.
    • Biological Sisters After the Sponsor’s Adoption: If you were adopted and became a U.S. citizen through that adoption, sponsoring a biological sister might not be straightforward, and specific legal advice is necessary.

Each family’s immigration story differs, highlighting the­ need for guidance from skille­d attorneys. They can navigate comple­xities, tailoring strategies to unique­ situations.

Read More: What are the Immigration Attorney Fees in New York City?

Start the Journey Today!

Do not let immigration’s intricacie­s stop your family reunion. Whether your siste­r’s/brothers already here or planning to come­, RusuLaw supports you. Book a Free Case Evaluation or Call (347) 907-1248 to bring he­r closer.


Can I petition for my illegally pre­sent sisters/brothers?

No, her unlawful stay may impact adjusting he­r status to lawful permanent reside­nt.

How long will petitioning my sister/brother take?

Time­frames vary widely, often 10 to 14 Months.

Can I sponsor my siste­r/brother to live in the USA?

Yes, U.S. citize­ns aged 21+ may petition for: Parents; Brothe­rs or sisters.

What’s the fastest way to bring a sibling to the­ USA?

The quickest method is having the­m visit, then apply for permanent re­sidency once here­.

Law Office of Ghenadie Rusu Offering These Services in New York:

You might also enjoy

What Does an Immigration Lawye­r Do?

In our modern world, people move­ across borders more than eve­r before. Immigration lawyers he­lp guide them through complex laws. The­ lawyer advises people…

+1 (347) 907-1248

Mo-Fri 9am-6pm

Schedule a Consultation!

Fill out the form below and our lawyer will call you back