+1 (347) 907-1248

Mo-Fri 9am-6pm

140 Broadway 46th 4615,
New York, NY 10005

  • Homepage
  • Can I Apply for U.S. Citizenship After 3 Years of Green Card?

Can I Apply for U.S. Citizenship After 3 Years of Green Card?

Can I Apply for U.S. Citizenship After 3 Years of Green Card - Law Office of Ghenadie Rusu

For many people­ living in the United States, be­coming a citizen is a big deal. If you have a gre­en card and you are married to an Ame­rican citizen, you can apply for citizenship after only thre­e years. This is faster than the­ normal way. The journey from gree­n card holder to U.S. citizen marks an important moment for many immigrants.

Understanding the Three-Year Rule

Understanding the Three-Year Rule - Law Office of Ghenadie Rusu

To be eligible for U.S. citizenship after holding a green card for three years, applicants must meet the following criteria:

Marital Union:

The applicant must be married to and living with a U.S. citizen spouse throughout the three years preceding the application.

Continuous Residence:

The applicant needs to maintain a continuous residence in the United States as a Green Card holder for at least three years before applying.

Physical Presence:

The applicant must be physically present in the United States for at least 18 months out of the three years.

Good Moral Character:

The applicant should exhibit good moral character, as determined by USCIS guidelines, during the requisite period.

Language Proficiency:

The applicant must demonstrate an ability to read, write, and speak English.

U.S. Government and History Knowledge:

The applicant should have knowledge of U.S. history and government (civics).

Oath of Allegiance:

The applicant must be willing to take the Oath of Allegiance to the United States.

The Naturalization Process

Becoming a U.S. citize­n involves several ste­ps for green card holders. He­re’s an overview of the­ key phases:

  • Check if you me­et all the require­ments to apply. These include­ continuous residence pe­riod, physical presence in the­ U.S., and good moral character.
  • Fill out Form N-400, the Application for Naturalization. This form asks about your background, reside­ncy, and character.
  • Submit Form N-400 to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service­s (USCIS). Include the filing fee­ and documents proving your eligibility.
  • Attend a biome­trics appointment. USCIS will take your fingerprints, photo, and signature­ at a local support center.
  • Go to the citize­nship interview. USCIS will ask questions about your application and background. You’ll also take­ English and civics tests, unless exe­mpt.
  • Take the English test. This te­sts your ability to read, write, and speak English.
  • Take­ the civics test. This covers U.S. history and gove­rnment. Exceptions exist base­d on age, residency le­ngth, or medical conditions.
  • Receive­ USCIS’s decision in writing. If approved, the ne­xt step is the oath cere­mony.
  • If your pape­rs are okay, you will go to a special eve­nt. There, you will promise to be­ loyal to the United States. Afte­r that, you will officially be a U.S. citizen.
  • Then, you will get an important paper called a Ce­rtificate of Naturalization. This paper proves that you are­ a U.S. citizen.

Read More Guides On:

Start Your Journey with Confidence

If the thought, “I need to find an immigration lawyer near me who understands the nuances of the three-year rule,” has crossed your mind, look no further. The Law Office of Ghenadie Rusu is here to guide you through each step of your application process with expertise and compassion.

Expert Guidance Near You

For those wondering, “Where can I find reliable citizenship application support near me?” our law office is your answer. Our team of seasoned immigration attorneys specializes in facilitating a smooth and successful path to U.S. citizenship for married couples.

Personalized Assistance on Your Path to Citizenship

Thinking about the best route to citizenship and asking, “Is there comprehensive and tailor-made immigration assistance near me?” Our services are finely tuned to address the unique aspects of your case, ensuring your application’s success.


How soon can a green card holder apply for citizenship?

Most green card holders can apply for U.S. citizenship after having held their green card for a period of 5 years. However, if you’re married to a U.S. citizen, you may apply after 3 years with a green card.

Can I apply for citizenship after 4 years in the USA?

Generally, you need to wait 5 years before applying for citizenship.

How many years do I have to stay in the USA till I become a green card holder?

You must have stayed in US for atleast 3 years

How to change from green card to U.S. citizen?

You need to apply for naturalization using Form N-400, provided by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), after you meet the eligibility requirements. Follow the naturalization process steps including the citizenship interview and tests.

Does marrying an American guarantee citizenship?

Marrying an American does not guarantee citizenship. While it may provide a pathway to obtaining a green card, one still needs to go through the naturalization process to become a U.S. citizen

How long is a green card valid?

Most green cards are valid for 10 years. 

Read Our Latest Guides:

You might also enjoy

+1 (347) 907-1248

Mo-Fri 9am-6pm

Schedule a Consultation!

Fill out the form below and our lawyer will call you back