+1 (347) 907-1248

Mo-Fri 9am-6pm

140 Broadway 46th 4615,
New York, NY 10005

Where to pay motion to reopen fee?

If you find yourself in a legal situation where you need to file a motion to reopen, it’s essential to understand the process and requirements involved. One crucial aspect to consider is the payment of the motion to reopen fee. In this article, we will guide you through the necessary steps to pay the fee and ensure your motion receives the attention it deserves.

Understanding the Motion to Reopen

Before delving into the payment process, let’s clarify what a motion to reopen entails. A motion to reopen is a formal request made to a court or administrative agency to revisit a decision or order previously made. It is typically filed when new evidence or legal arguments surface, which could potentially alter the outcome of the case. By filing a motion to reopen, you have an opportunity to present fresh information that was not previously available or address any errors or injustices that occurred during the initial proceedings.

Navigating the Legal Process

A. Identifying the Appropriate Court or Agency

To ensure your motion to reopen is processed correctly, it is crucial to determine the relevant court or administrative agency. Depending on the nature of your case, you may need to file the motion in a specific jurisdiction. Take the time to research and identify the correct court or agency where your case was originally heard or adjudicated. Filing in the wrong jurisdiction can result in delays or even dismissal of your motion.

B. Obtaining the Required Forms

Once you’ve determined the appropriate court or agency, you will need to obtain the necessary forms for filing your motion to reopen. These forms can typically be found online on the court or agency’s website. It is essential to ensure that you download the correct forms, as different jurisdictions may have variations in their requirements. Carefully review the instructions accompanying the forms to ensure accurate completion.

C. Paying the Motion to Reopen Fee

Paying the motion to reopen fee is a critical step in the process. Failure to pay the fee can result in the rejection or dismissal of your motion. The fee amount varies depending on the jurisdiction and the specific circumstances of your case. To determine the fee, consult the court’s fee schedule or contact the administrative agency handling your case. Keep in mind that some courts may require a filing fee in addition to the motion to reopen fee.

Accepted payment methods also differ among jurisdictions. Most courts and administrative agencies accept payment by cash, check, or money order. Some may also offer online payment options. Ensure that you follow the instructions provided by the court or agency and submit the payment using the accepted method.

Where to pay motion to reopen fee?

Where to Pay the Motion to Reopen Fee

A. Courts and Administrative Agencies

If you are filing a motion to reopen in a court setting, the payment process typically takes place directly with the court. Different courts may have varying procedures and payment options, so it is essential to familiarize yourself with the specific requirements of the court where you are filing.

In general, payments made to courts are often accepted in person at the court’s clerk’s office. This allows for immediate verification and confirmation of payment. Additionally, some courts may accept payments by mail, but it is crucial to ensure that the payment reaches the court within the specified timeframe.

Accepted payment methods at courts usually include cash, personal checks, cashier’s checks, and money orders. Some courts may also offer online payment options through their website. When paying in person, be prepared to provide the case number or other identifying information related to your motion.

B. Immigration and Naturalization Cases

In the context of immigration and naturalization cases, paying the motion to reopen fee involves a slightly different process. If you are filing a motion to reopen with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), you will need to follow their specific payment procedures.

Typically, the USCIS requires payment by check or money order. The payment should be made payable to the “U.S. Department of Homeland Security.” Ensure that you include the necessary information on the check or money order as specified by the USCIS. It is also essential to submit the payment along with your motion to the designated USCIS address. Consult the USCIS website or contact their customer service for the most up-to-date information on payment requirements and procedures.

C. Other Jurisdictions and Special Circumstances

In certain situations or jurisdictions, the process of paying the motion to reopen fee may differ. For instance, if you are dealing with an administrative agency rather than a court, you might need to submit the payment to the agency directly. Similarly, if your case involves specialized tribunals or panels, they may have unique payment processes.

To ensure you pay the fee correctly in these situations, carefully review the instructions provided by the relevant jurisdiction or consult with legal professionals who are familiar with the specific requirements. They can guide you through the payment process and help you avoid any potential missteps.

Where to pay motion to reopen fee?


Paying the motion to reopen fee is a crucial step when filing a motion to reopen. By following the correct procedures and submitting the payment in a timely manner, you increase the chances of your motion receiving the necessary attention from the court or administrative agency. Remember to identify the appropriate jurisdiction, obtain the required forms, and adhere to the accepted payment methods. If you encounter any challenges or have questions, it is advisable to seek legal advice to ensure your motion is filed correctly.

Filing a motion to reopen is a complex legal process that requires in-depth knowledge of immigration law and procedures. It is highly recommended to work with an experienced immigration attorney who can assess the merits of your case, guide you through the moving process, and advocate for your interests. That’s why you should choose the Law Office of Ghenadie Rusu. At the Law Office of Ghenadie Rusu, our dedicated team of immigration attorneys will ensure that all necessary documents are properly prepared, legal arguments are effectively presented, and procedural requirements are met.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Can I pay the motion to reopen fee online? While some courts and agencies offer online payment options, itis not universally available. It is best to check the specific court or agency’s website for information regarding online payment methods.

2. What happens if I cannot afford to pay the motion to reopen fee? If you are unable to afford the motion to reopen fee, you may be eligible for a fee waiver or a reduced fee based on your financial circumstances. Consult the court or agency’s guidelines or contact their customer service for information on fee waiver options.

3. What should I do if I made a mistake in the payment of the motion to reopen fee? If you made an error in the payment process or provided incorrect information, contact the court or agency as soon as possible to rectify the situation. They will guide you on the necessary steps to correct any mistakes.

4. Can I get a refund of the motion to reopen fee if my motion is denied? In most cases, motion to reopen fees are non-refundable, regardless of the outcome of the motion. It is essential to consider this before filing a motion and ensure that you have a valid basis for reopening your case.

5. Are there any deadlines for paying the motion to reopen fee? Each court or agency may have specific deadlines for paying the motion to reopen fee. It is crucial to review the instructions provided by the court or agency and ensure that you submit the payment within the specified timeframe to avoid any potential consequences.

You might also enjoy

+1 (347) 907-1248

Mo-Fri 9am-6pm

Order a Free Consultation!

Fill out the form below and our lawyer will call you back