+1 (347) 907-1248

Mo-Fri 9am-6pm

140 Broadway 46th 4615,
New York, NY 10005

What is work authorization document?

What is work authorization document?

When it comes to working in a foreign country, having the proper documentation is crucial. One such document that allows individuals to legally work in a country is a work authorization document. In this article, we will explore what a work authorization document is, the types available, the application process, and the benefits it offers.

Types of Work Authorization Documents

There are two main categories of work authorization documents: temporary and permanent. Temporary work authorization documents are issued for a specific period, while permanent work authorization documents allow individuals to work indefinitely.


One commonly obtained temporary work authorization document is the Employment Authorization Document (EAD). This document is typically granted to individuals who are eligible to work temporarily in the United States. Another option for temporary work authorization is obtaining a temporary work visa, such as an H-1B visa, which allows foreign workers to be employed by a specific U.S. employer for a limited period.


For those seeking long-term employment in a foreign country, obtaining a permanent work authorization document is essential. The most well-known permanent work authorization document in the United States is the Green Card. A Green Card, officially known as a Permanent Resident Card, grants the holder the right to live and work permanently in the United States. Another way to obtain work authorization is through obtaining citizenship, which offers unrestricted employment opportunities.

What is work authorization document?

Applying for a Work Authorization Document

The process of applying for a work authorization document varies depending on the type of authorization sought.

Temporary Work Authorization

To apply for temporary work authorization, individuals must meet specific eligibility criteria. These criteria may include having a valid job offer, specialized skills, or being a spouse or dependent of a visa holder. The application process typically involves submitting the necessary forms, supporting documents, and paying any applicable fees.

Permanent Work Authorization

For permanent work authorization, the eligibility criteria are more stringent. This usually involves meeting specific requirements such as having a qualifying family relationship, being sponsored by an employer, or obtaining asylum or refugee status. The application process can be complex and often requires extensive documentation to support the application.


Having a valid work authorization document offers numerous benefits and opportunities to individuals.

Firstly, a work authorization document enables individuals to pursue legal employment opportunities. It provides access to a wider range of job prospects and allows individuals to contribute to the local economy.

Secondly, a work authorization document also grants access to social security benefits. This includes retirement benefits, disability benefits, and survivor benefits, providing financial security and peace of mind.

Furthermore, holding a work authorization document allows individuals to access various government services, such as healthcare and education. This ensures that they can avail themselves of essential services and support offered by the government.

Lastly, a work authorization document provides protection from deportation. It establishes legal status and offers a level of security, reducing the risk of being separated from loved ones or facing legal consequences.

What is work authorization document?

Common Challenges and FAQs

  1. What if my work authorization document expires? If your work authorization document is expiring, it is important to apply for a renewal in a timely manner to avoid interruptions in your employment eligibility. Failure to renew your work authorization document may result in loss of employment and possible legal consequences.
  2. Can I work while my work authorization document is being processed? Generally, individuals can only work legally once they have received their work authorization document. However, there may be certain exceptions or interim work authorization options available during the processing period. It is advisable to consult with immigration authorities or an immigration attorney for specific guidance.
  3. Is a work authorization document the same as a visa? No, a work authorization document and a visa are two separate documents. A visa grants entry into a country, while a work authorization document allows individuals to work legally within that country.
  4. Can I apply for a work authorization document if I am undocumented? The ability to apply for a work authorization document if you are undocumented may depend on various factors, such as your individual circumstances, eligibility for certain immigration relief programs, or changes in immigration policies. It is advisable to consult with an immigration attorney or seek advice from immigration advocacy organizations to understand your options.
  5. How long does it take to receive? The processing time for a work authorization document can vary depending on the type of document, current immigration workload, and individual circumstances. It is important to check the processing times provided by the relevant immigration authorities or consult with an immigration attorney for a more accurate estimate.

In conclusion, a work authorization document is a vital document that allows individuals to legally work in a foreign country. Whether it is temporary or permanent work authorization, obtaining the necessary documentation is essential for accessing employment opportunities, government services, and social security benefits while enjoying protection from deportation. If you have further questions or need assistance, it is recommended to consult with an immigration attorney to navigate the complex process and ensure compliance with immigration laws.

Contact the Law Office of Ghenadie Rusu today to receive legal consultation and professional support in your work permit application process in the United States.

You might also enjoy

+1 (347) 907-1248

Mo-Fri 9am-6pm

Order a Free Consultation!

Fill out the form below and our lawyer will call you back